Features and Requirements
Welcome To The BOARD18 Project
|This page has been updated to comply with Release 2.5.x of BOARD18.|
BOARD18 is a tool for playing “18xx style” games via Email.
The BOARD18 game session associated with a PBEM game is used to display the game board and the stock market for the game.
It will run as a web service accessed via the player's web browser.
The How To page linked to here contains step by step instructions for setting up a PBEM 18xx game.
BOARD18 is open source software available under the MIT License
NOTE: For more information on 18xx style games, see this wikipedia article.
BOARD18 allows multiple players to access a game board and an associated stock market chart and to place, move and delete track tiles and other tokens as required by the game being played.
Supported features include:
- Player registration and log in
- Admin level with special privileges.
- Mid level security [encrypted passwords]
- Game session creation form
- The play of multiple concurent games
- Context menus
- Hot keys for many game actions
- A snapshot facility
- Concurrent update protection
- The ability to back out an accepted move.
- Support for all current browser releases.
- Partial support for iPad and Android devices.
BOARD18 game boxes can be created for various 18xx games and loaded into the database on the server.
BOARD18 is a web application that has both client side requirements and server side requirements.
These requirements are discussed separately.
The BOARD18 server requires:
- An Apache web server
- MySQL version 5.5 or later
- PHP version 5.3 or later
The BOARD18 client requires a web browser that supports:
- HTML5 [including Canvas]
- CSS 3
NOTE: most current web browsers meet the above requirements.
Currently BOARD18 does not have support for the ability to zoom in or out while viewing the game board.