Features and Requirements
Welcome To The BOARD18 Project
BOARD18 is a tool for playing “18xx style” games via Email.
The BOARD18 game session associated with a PBEM game is used to display the game board and the stock market for the game.
It will run as a web service accessed via the player's web browser.
The How To page linked to here contains step by step instructions for setting up a PBEM 18xx game.
BOARD18 is open source software available under the MIT License
NOTE: For more information on 18xx style games, see this wikipedia article.
BOARD18 allows multiple players to access a game board and an associated stock market chart and to place, move and delete track tiles and other tokens as required by the game being played.
Supported features include:
- Player registration and log in
- Mid level security [encrypted passwords].
- Game session creation form
- The play of multiple concurent games
- Context menues
- Hot keys for many game actions
- Concurrent update protection
BOARD18 game boxes can be created for various 18xx games and loaded into the database on the server.
BOARD18 is a web application that has both client side requirements and server side requirements.
These requirements are discussed separately.
The BOARD18 server requires:
- An Apache web server
- MySQL version 5.5 or later
- PHP version 5.3 or later
The BOARD18 client requires a web browser that supports:
- CSS 3
NOTE: Up to now only Firefox has been used as a development platform.
Currently BOARD18 does not have:
- Support for other browsers [but it is being worked on]
- Support for hand held devices
- Game box creation tools
- The ability to back out an accepted move
- The ability to view a blank map during the course of the game
- The ability to zoom in or out while viewing the game board
- The ability to snap tokens based on meta data